Annual Statistical Return File Details
Files, Fields and Data Definitions
The upload to the SRS consists of three files: the Programme file, the Course file, and the Survey file. Excel files detailing data definitions, codes to be used, and xml formats, are available at the bottom of the page.
Programme: A programme is the general or undenominated area of study that a course belongs to e.g. Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Arts, Diploma in Business Studies. If the academic structure in your institution is highly denominated programme and course will most likely be the same. The programme file contains descriptors such as programme name, faculty, programme type (i.e. Undergraduate Degree).
Course: A course is a denominated area of study within a programme, for instance, Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic & Electrical Engineering. The student has enrolled on the programme Bachelor of Engineering but is pursuing a more specific are of study. The course file contains descriptors such as course name, course code, awarding body etc.
Survey: This file contains the individual student or graduate records. A broad range of data is collected covering topics; student details such as age, gender, country of origin; course details such as course being pursued, ISCED code of this course, mode of study (full-time/part-time) and subject data (where further breakdown is required e.g. BA Arts, BSc Science). Additional ISCED coding information is available via the link on the right.
- Each year’s returns are a self-contained set of files.
- The programme file contains all programme details relating to current students. These must be assigned the current academic year (e.g. 2004/05). The programme file also contains all programme details relating to graduates. These must be assigned the previous academic year (e.g. 2003/04).
- The course file contains all course details relating to current students. These must be assigned the current academic year (2004/05). The course file also contains all course details relating to graduates. These must be assigned the previous academic year (2003/04).
- As a course is viewed as an area of study within a programme each course should have a programme code i.e. the programme of which it is part. This programme code must relate to a programme already submitted by your institution for the relevant return and academic year i.e. programme code submitted in the course file must relate to an existing programme for that return year and academic year.
- The survey file contains data relating to both students and graduates. The “Enrol Status” field asks the user to specify whether the record relates to a student or a graduate. Students must be assigned the current academic year (e.g. 2004/05) and graduates the preceding academic year (e.g. 2003/04). Course details returned in the student file must relate to a course record already submitted for that return and academic year.
The files all follow the same naming conventions. The standard is [two letter institute code][file].[filetype] e.g. xxprogramme.xml is identified by the system as institution xx’s programme file in XML format. The remainder of this institution’s files would be named xxcourse.xml and xxsurvey.xml
Current Return Year
The current return year is 2013. Enrolment data should relate to the academic year 2012/2013 (census date 1st March 2013). Graduate data should relate to the academic year 2011/2012 i.e. students who successfully completed a course/research for an award in the calendar year 2012.
SRS Access Survey File
To save a file to your hard disk, right click your mouse on the link and select 'save target as'
Posted 01:01am Jan 1